Dave Wiitala has learned a lot about managing money over the past 22 years, and he wants to share these experiences, insight, and perspective with you.
Hi, I’m Dave Wiitala, and welcome to my blog.
I built this website to express my thoughts regarding investments, the economy, and how to help Canadians become better investors. The primary focus of Investing Beyond is the private exempt markets, which is an exciting area, but little understood by even some of the most sophisticated investors out there. While anyone out there can stumble upon this site, it is primarily intended for current clients, friends, and those who are interested in my work but may reside in a different Canadian location (anywhere from BC through and including ON).
Most people who find this site already know about me. If you don’t, however, here are a few things:
- I was born and raised in Thunder Bay, ON., population of approx. 110,000, located in Northwestern Ontario.
- My dad put skates on me around age 3, and I developed a lifelong love of hockey, playing 3-5x per week to this day.
- I was a voracious reader growing up, reading “Winning on Wall Street” by Martin Zweig and Donald Trump’s “The Art of the Deal” in my highschool years in the 1980’s. Investing became a fascination relatively early in life.
- After graduating from Lakehead University in 1993, I became licensed as a mutual funds/ life insurance advisor, working with a boutique firm called Financial Concept Group and providing financial products to my clients.
- I married my highschool sweetheart in 1997, and in 2002 along came our daughter Kiira, who remains one of the focal points of my life to this day. The marriage did not work out, unfortunately, but we both work hard to ensure the well-being of our daughter comes first.
- In 1999, I moved my advisory practice to RBC Dominion Securities, Canada’s largest investment firm. After building up an investment advisory practice for 7+ years, I decided to resign, and my practice was purchased by another advisor within the firm. While with RBC I attained my CIM (Canadian Investment Manager) designation.
- The next 3 years were spent as a regional sales director for CIBC Renaissance Mutual Funds. My clients were now advisors, from all conceivable types of investment firms, and I both taught and learned from some of the best financial advisors in Canada.
- In 2010 I was offered the opportunity to become VP Western Canadian Business Development, for Manulife Securities. While I enjoyed the challenge, corporate life representing head office was not what I was destined for, and I resigned in early 2011.
- In 2011 I decided to go back into private practice again, this time specializing in retirement income planning and portfolio construction. I have been with Raintree Financial, one of Canada’s top exempt market dealers, since the summer of 2011.
A Passion To Help
I started this blog in 2014 quite simply to help people. I have been blessed with an extremely well-rounded investment career, which has been very good to me, and quite frankly I would like to make as positive an impact as possible. There is so much knowledge and experience to share that a public blog seems the most efficient way to accomplish this.
If this blog helps you, in any way, I will consider it time well spent.
In Your Service,